Thursday, September 6, 2012

Week 2 on the Whole 30-- Wanna Touch my Skin??

Wanna touch my skin??

It's really soft.

No, seriously, it is.

Yes, you can touch it.

Nope, I don't have lotion on.

Amazing, isn't it?



I may have crossed over into the realm of nutty.  On Saturday, I was just sitting there and I realized that MY SKIN IS SILKY SMOOTH AND SOFT.

No kidding.  We had some friends over that night and I kept asking if they wanted to touch it (and I was the only one NOT drinking....).

A colleague of mine who I used to office with about 14 years ago said "But you've always had nice skin..."

Nope.  I told her she missed my 30's and the 40's were starting out a little scary.  I NEVER had acne as a teenager.  No joke.  When I spent a year in Ecuador- and my friends who were there can back me up on this- I used to get stopped on the street and asked what I used on my face.  I think Noxzema had a boom year because of me.

I started to get a few cystic zits in college- stress.  Then it got worse.  Then it got horrible.  My hormones, stress, bad eating habits-- if it didn't get better, I was on my way to the dermatologist.

But now, I can save the co-pay.

Without getting too graphic, because I know I have male readers, let's just say, this isn't the week my skin should be clearing up.  And I certainly shouldn't be losing weight.

Yep, you know what I mean.  Something is just around the corner, and it ain't Christmas.

I have a few friends who think I'm on some nutty diet.  It's not- I swear.  I knew I wasn't feeling well and wanted to try something out there before resorting to a life of feeling blah.

So I cut out the sugar, the grains, the dairy, the beans, and the caffeine (which I've added a little more in because apparently I wasn't supposed to cut it out completely).

And baby, I'm back!

I have energy.  My skin is clear.  My skin is soft. I can focus.  I am sharp.  I am calm.  I am smiling more.  And yes, I lost a little weight, but honestly, I will never go back to eating like I was ever again.

Period.

Never.

This past Sunday we went for a family bike ride.  We used to do them quite a bit and with the summer, it's way too freaking hot here, so we hadn't in awhile.  In the interim, I started this and my husband lost another 20+ pounds this summer.

We rode for 3-4 miles in about 20-30 minutes.  We weren't flying by any means, but we definitely were going at a good pace for a family of 4.  When we got home my husband and I both commented that in the spring, we would have gone about 2 miles in the same time and would have been wiped out when we got home.  Neither one of us was even tired or out of breath.  And we both commented that we could have gone longer-- the reason we didn't was because quite honestly, I ran out of places for us to ride!

We both smiled and agreed that that was EXACTLY why we were losing weight, exercising and eating healthier.  It's not for skinny jeans- which may never happen for us-- it was to enjoy life more.

Between my soft skin-- wanna touch it?-- and the ability to go for a ride without falling over-- plus all the other amazing things--- you can keep your ice cream.

Yep.  I said that.

Keep your ice cream.

I may indulge from time to time-- maybe not ice cream but wine is definitely coming back-- but honestly, I cannot go back.

I may even stay fat, but I am not going to poison myself and ruin the ability to enjoy life because I want a stupid donut.

Never, ever again.

This is so much easier than I ever thought it would be.

If you are bloated, tired, grumpy and your skin looks like you're fifty but you're 35- do it.  Once you get past that first week, you will never regret it.

Thank you to Helen and Candi for telling me about this!

No comments:

Post a Comment